The CSLP® program is a online course and certification program for financial professionals who work with clients in areas such as planning, tax, insurance, and investments. In the program you will learn how to accurately and comptently advise clients with student loans within the scope of their overall financial goals, present and future life scenarios. You will learn how to analyze and recommend the the best repayment strategy for their situation.
The program is a self-paced, online suite of courses and modules, each with targeted learning outcomes. This is a comprehensive professional development curriculum that includes a remotely proctored examination. Successful participants receive permission to use the CSLP® mark.
We teach advisors and test their knowledge of:
- Evaluating statutory discharge in every case.
- Identifying undergraduate and graduate loan programs, borrowing limits, and interest rates.
- Recognizing the significance of loan “type” and loan “status”.
- Determining when consolidation makes sense and when it doesn’t.
- Projecting costs under Standard, Extended, and Graduated repayment, and comparing nuances between the various Income-Driven Repayment plans.
- Helping borrowers track and document progress towards forgiveness and record keeping by loan servicers
- Avoiding traps for the unwary (such as paid-ahead status, PLUS consolidation, and capitalization triggers).
- Helping borrowers avoid losing important rights (such as by refinancing federal student loans).
- Assisting borrowers in enforcing those consumer protections that do exist (such as enforcing cosigner release provisions).
- Helping borrowers understand incorporate student debt into their tax and financial planning in an effort to reduce the long term implications of student debt on their financial futures.